Tourist Access Permit

Note: Green Zone temporary closures 1 September—5 October 2019, including Stuart Highway

Tourists must have a Tourist Permit (DOC) issued by the Woomera Test Range before accessing any part of the Woomera Prohibited Area (WPA) except the:

  • Stuart Highway
  • Lake Cadibarrawirracanna Road (Public Access Route)
  • Olympic Dam Highway (B97)
  • William Creek Road
  • Woomera Village.

Permits are required for all other roads. This includes the Anne Beadell Highway, a 4WD track from Coober Pedy to Western Australia.

Permits cannot be issued more than 12 months in advance. Users require a permit for each vehicle in their party.

Tourists must also provide at least 10 business days notice confirming that they will be entering the WTA on the dates stated on their permit.

Anyone entering the WPA must also observe the WPA safety precautions.

Exclusion periods

Permits will not be issued for travel in an access zone during an  exclusion period. Exclusions periods are reserved for Defence use only, to ensure the safety and security of travellers and Defence staff. Defence reserves the right to call an exclusion period that may fall within the dates of a previously-issued permit. In this instance, Defence will make contact with permit holders.

Exclusion periods are published in March of each year, showing the access restrictions which will apply during the following financial year (1 July to 30 June). Notifications for restrictions in parts of the Green Zone may be provided only three weeks in advance, so keep an eye on the exclusion periods for updates.

You can subscribe to WPA exclusion period updates by emailing us with 'Subscribe' as the subject; see Contact.

Neighbouring lands

Tourists may also require permits for neighbouring areas:


Permits may contain specific conditions relevant to that individual permit.