Exclusion Periods - Times you can't access the Woomera Prohibited Area
Why can Defence require me to leave the WPA?
Defence uses the WPA for military capability and weapons testing. To make sure these tests are safe and secure, there are times that Defence will require non-defence users such as permit and deed holders and other people to evacuate the WPA. Approval to access the WPA is suspended during these periods that are called Exclusion Periods.
Defence's legal ability to exclude people from the WPA depends on what part of the WPA they are in and for which they have access permission. The WPA is separated into four Access Zones, shown on the map.
How often can Defence require me to leave the WPA?
The Access Zone you are using determines how often Defence can require you to leave the WPA in a financial year for safety and security during Defence testing. The Access Zones are detailed on the map.
Exclusion periods in each financial year (1 July to 30 June) are:
- Green Zone: Defence can require you to leave the WPA for up to 56 days a year
- Amber Zone 1: Defence can require you to leave for up to 140 days a year
- Amber Zone 2: Defence can require you to leave for up to 70 days a year
- Red Zone: No access permits are granted for the red zone.
How far in advance does Defence need to tell me about the Exclusion Periods?
- Green Zone: At least 21 days' notice of exclusion is given. At least six months' notice is given if you hold a resource production (mining) permit.
- Amber Zone: Notice of Amber zones 1 and 2 exclusion periods is given in March each year for the following financial year.
Exclusion advice is emailed to permit holders and published on the WPA website.
Updates to Exclusion Periods
Always check the WPA website for exclusion period notifications.
Please also call 1300 WPA DEL (1300 972 335 option 1) to check daily information about any access restrictions.
Stuart Highway, Olympic Dam Highway, Woomera Village and Tarcoola to Darwin Railway Line
Sometimes permission to access the Stuart Highway, Olympic Dam Highway, Tarcoola to Darwin Railway line, and the Woomera Village is suspended during times of Defence testing.
You should call 1300 WPA DEL (1300 972 335 option 1) to check daily information about access restrictions.