• Executive summary
  • Advisory Board
  • Woomera Prohibited Area overview
  • Facts and figures
  • Defence use of the WPA
  • Non-Defence users' views on co-existence
  • Stakeholder engagement

Executive summary

The WPA is Australia’s most important military testing range. The complexity and number of weapons tests and trials conducted at the WPA is increasing and will develop further following the introduction of new military capabilities and weapons systems in coming years. This will be enabled by the upgrades currently being made to the test range’s infrastructure and systems.

Minerals and energy resources exploration and mining provide the highest economic value among non-Defence activities in the WPA despite the modest resource sector activity. During the reporting period, there were three mines operating in the WPA: the Challenger gold mine; the Prominent Hill copper-gold mine; and the Cairn Hill iron ore mine. These mines employed over 1,500 people and contributed around $47 million to South Australia in royalties.

The number of resource exploration permit applications to access the WPA has reduced over the reporting period. Additionally, two applicants were refused permits.

The Department of Defence, with the South Australian Department of the Premier and Cabinet, continue to consult with WPA stakeholders on co-existence within the WPA under Defence’s legislative framework. Stakeholders will continue to inform measures to improve the co-existence framework through a review of the governance arrangements in 2018.