Effective 11 March 2022
Update (1 July 2022) - The ASDEFCON (Complex Materiel) Volume 2 template has been updated, and incorporates the following changes:
Updates to the Supplier Pay On-Time or Pay Interest Policy (RMG 417), which requires Defence to make all payments to suppliers within the maximum payment terms regardless of contract value. The maximum payment terms are:
- within five (5) calendar days where the application of the Pan-European Public Procurement On-Line (PEPPOL) framework is agreed to between Defence and the supplier; and
- within 20 calendar days for all other invoicing, unless otherwise agreed.
If Defence does not meet agreed payment terms it may be liable to pay interest.
Updates in relation to the Master Guarantee Program (MGP). Changes include a new optional clause in the Conditions of Contract for use when contractors have a Master Guarantee and Indemnity Deed with Defence, and elect to apply it to the contract
ASDEFCON (Complex Materiel) Volume 2 is designed to be used for procurements with medium technical risk involving design, development and integration which do not justify the use of ASDEFCON (Strategic Materiel). Further guidance on when to use ASDEFCON (Complex Materiel) Volume 2 has been included in the Contract Template Selection and Tailoring Guide.
ASDEFCON (Complex Materiel) Volume 2 Version 5.1 contains a number of key changes including:
- updated provisions to align with recommendations made by the Auditor-General Report No. 4 2021-22 Performance Audit - Defence's Contract Administration - Defence Industry Security Program;
- improvement to provisions aligning with the new Enhanced Australian Industry Capability (AIC) Contractual Framework;
- updates to SOW to ;facilitate the transition from Defence ICT systems being replaced by the ERP program's SAP solutions;
- updates to DIDs for S1000D Technical Data and use of the new DEF(AUST)IPS-5630 for Interactive Electronic Technical Publications;
- changes to DIDs for training/learning programs to incorporate the updated Systems Approach to Defence Learning (SADL); and
- various updates reflecting changes in Defence policies and commercial standards.
Other new changes include minor typographical and grammatical changes, updated weblinks and references.
The following files represent the complete ASDEFCON (Complex Materiel) Volume 2 version 5.1 template:
This version is current as of 1 July 2022.
Preliminary Pages (PDF)
Part 1 - Conditions of Tender (PDF)
Part 1 - Annexes to the Conditions of Tender (PDF)
Part 2 - Draft Conditions of Contract (PDF)
Part 2 - Attachments to the Draft Conditions of Contract (PDF)
Part 2 - Acquisition Pricing Workbook (ZIP)
Part 3 - Draft Statement of Work (PDF)
Part 3 - Annexes to the Draft Statement of Work (PDF)
Part 3 - Data Item Descriptions (PDF)
Part 3 - Supplementary Data Item Descriptions (PDF)
Alternatively, a zipped copy of ASDEFCON (Complex Materiel) Volume 2 version 5.1 (ZIP) in Microsoft Word format is also available for downloading. When extracting from Winzip please ensure you select 'all files' and 'use folder names'. The ASDEFCON Toolbar and Style Set should be used to edit the template in Microsoft Word.
The Department of Defence accepts no responsibility or liability for the use of this document. For specific procurements, the Department reserves the right to make changes to the document (or select particular clause 'options') and is not bound to use the document for any particular procurement.
The following guidance has also been produced to assist procurement staff in using the ASDEFCON (Complex Materiel) Volume 2 template:
- The Australian Industry Capability (AIC) Guide for ASDEFCON has been developed to assist template users to understand, develop, request and implement an effective AIC program to achieve AIC Objectives, using the enhanced AIC contractual framework.
- The Australian Contract Expenditure (ACE) Guide for ASDEFCON complements the ACE Measurement Rules, introduced as part of the enhanced AIC contractual framework for ASDEFCON. The Guide also supports the Microsoft Excel® workbooks that collect tendered pricing data and form part of the price and payments schedule for a resultant contract.
- The Australian Contract Expenditure (ACE) Measurement Rules have been developed to standardise the way in which Australian Contract Expenditure and Imported Contract Expenditure (ICE) are measured across relevant Defence procurements. The rules form part of Defence’s Australian Industry Capability program and support Defence industry policies including the 2019 Defence Policy for Industry Participation
- Statement of Work Tailoring Guide for ASDEFCON (Complex Materiel) Volume 2 V4.0 (PDF) provides guidance for drafters tailoring the SOW. While this Guide is designed for use with Version 4.0 of the (Complex Materiel) Volume 2 template, it is still generally applicable to Version 5.1, but must be used with caution. The Guide will be updated in the future.
- Approved Contractor Insurance Program internet page which provides guidance on the use of the ASDEFCON insurance clauses.
- WHS and the System Safety Program Guide (PDF).
- Defence Estate Quality Management System, which contains guidance on implementing GFF in ASDEFCON contracts.
The ASDEFCON (Complex Materiel) Version 1.0 handbook is no longer applicable to the ASDEFCON (Complex Materiel) Volume 2 version 5.1 template. Should you still wish to view the handbook, you can find a copy here.
A single PDF version of the ASDEFCON (Complex Materiel) Volume 2 version 5.1 template is available to assist ASDEFCON (Complex Materiel) Volume 2 training course attendees.