The Naval General Service Medal 1915-62 was instituted in 1915 for service in minor Naval war-like operations. The medal is always issued with a clasp denoting the area or purpose of operations. Subsequent service is recognised by the award of further clasps to be worn on the original medal.
The medal is cupro-nickel with the obverse having the effigy of the reigning sovereign at time of issue.
The reverse bears an image of ‘Britannia' in a chariot pulled by two sea-horses.
The ribbon has a wide white central stripe, flanked by two red pin-stripes, further flanked by two white stripes, which in turn are flanked by two red outer stripes.
The following clasps have been issued for the medal:
- Persian Gulf 1909-1914
- Iraq 1919-1920
- NW Persia 1919-1920
- NW Persia 1920
- Palestine 1936-1939
- SE Asia 1945-46
- Minesweeping 1945-51
- Palestine 1945-48
- Bomb and Mine Clearance 1945-53
- Yangtze 1949
- Bomb and Mine Clearance, Mediterranean
- Near East
- Arabian Peninsula
Members mentioned in despatches for operations recognised by the Naval General Service Medal 1915-62 after 11 August 1920 were approved to wear a bronze oak leaf on the medal ribbon.