Woomera Prohibited Area exclusion periods
Defence has planned its use of the Woomera Prohibited Area (WPA) and has decided on the following exclusion periods for the Amber Zone in the current financial year:
Restrictions on access to the Woomera Protected Area (PDF) are summarised in this poster, which you can download or print for reference.
Commonwealth legislation and determinations define the prohibited area and exclusion periods.
You can subscribe to WPA exclusion period updates by emailing us with 'Subscribe' as the subject; see Contact.
Amber Zone 1 – South-Eastern Corner
- 14 August—3 September 2016
- 30 October—10 December 2016
- 26 February—25 March 2017
- 14 May—1 July 2017
Amber Zone 2 – Corridor
Includes a section of the Anne Beadell Highway.
- 14—27 August 2016
- 30 October—19 November 2016
- 26 February—11 March 2017
- 11—30 June 2017
- Parts of the Green Zone will be closed intermittently between 30 October–19 November 2016
- Travel on the the Tarcoola–Darwin railway and Stuart Highway may be affected for short periods during this time.
- Further information on the closure will be publicised on this website and in the media prior to the closure period.
Who is affected?
The exclusion periods affect new non-Defence users of the WPA only.
Existing non-Defence users of the WPA, including the four operating mines, WPA pastoral lease holders and Aboriginal persons and traditional owners, will continue to operate under their current access arrangements, including evacuation from the WPA for Defence testing as required.
Defence will undertake regular monitoring to ensure there is no unauthorised access into the access zones during an exclusion period.