Media Room | Reports and Publications | Careers and Recruiting | Industry and Contracts | Other Defence Links

How to make a Freedom of Information request: Ex Serving Member

If you are a former member of the Australian Defence Force (ADF), or former employee of the Department of Defence (DoD), and you wish to have access to personnel records relating to yourself, you must apply for access outside the FOI Act in the first instance.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome, or if you do not receive a decision within 30 days of making your request, you may then seek access under the FOI Act.

Older records

Army medical records for people discharged prior to 1947 and Air force medical records for people discharged prior to 1952 are held by Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) therefore if your request falls within this period please contact DVA.

If you are requesting service records of an Australian member who served during World War I and World War II it is recommended that you contact the National Archives of Australia (NAA) in the first instance.

Are you seeking your: