The CASG Business Framework
The Capability Acquisition and Sustainment Group’s (CASG) Business Framework (BF) will provide a strategic lens through which decisions are made, resources allocated, actions taken and outcomes achieved in pursuit of our agreed charter. It will provide an integrated and consistent approach to doing business. It also drives performance and accountability in a logical and transparent manner – it is our modus operandi.
The BF has been developed in close consultation with industry to ensure it broadly aligns with the way our industry partners undertake their business and makes sense to those stakeholders who work alongside us every day to deliver quality and timely outcomes for the men and women of the Australian Defence Force (ADF). It is being iteratively developed with the final version due for release in mid 2017 and will be presented to the First Principles Review Implementation Committee in July.
The BF has three pillars that focus on Governance, Performance and Accountability. It establishes:
- a ‘trusted single source’ of knowledge irrespective of location or role
- the ability to operate more effectively in a business-like fashion and in doing so better manage the complexity of what we do
- clarity of roles, accountabilities and responsibilities
- more efficient and streamlined performance reporting
- elimination of gaps and duplication with One Defence
- access to common artefacts, a common language and smooth and logical interactions across our business.
The three pillars also align closely with the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013 which prescribes a coherent system of governance and accountability across Commonwealth entities.
In short our BF will shape how the organisation and its people report, think, plan, respond, interact, deliver, measure, reflect, learn, adapt, transform and behave.
The BF also contains all core processes including those provided through the One Defence environment.
Our core CASG business processes and policies will systematically be reviewed and streamlined over the next 12 months. Our objective is to minimise prescription and/or mandated processes and move towards an operating model that provides high level guidance against which judgement and experience can be brought to bear in making key decisions.
While much of our energy will be directed to significantly improving the way we undertake our business we understand that we also need to urgently address our culture. We are looking to establish an organisational culture where people:
- are skilled at what they do
- are valued and trusted
- are willing to speak up and challenge
- will bring issues to the surface for early resolution
- will put their hand up for help and be willing to help others when required
- are proud to say that they work in CASG.
CASG is currently undergoing a transformation and this can be unsettling for some but also stimulating for others. We do not underestimate the challenge that lies ahead but we need to become more business like and respected for the quality of the outcomes we deliver to the men and women of the ADF every day.
If you would like more information about the Business Framework please email the CASG Communications team.