The flow chart above depicts the structure of the organisation as at 30 June 2003.
The Minister for Defence is Senator the Honourable Robert Hill. Assisting Senator Hill fulfil his portfolio responsibilities are the Minister Assisting the Minister for Defence, the Honourable Dana Vale, MP and the Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Defence, the Honourable Fran Bailey, MP.
The Chief of the Defence Force (CDF) and the Secretary of the Department of Defence jointly manage the Defence organisation under a 'diarchy' arrangement. The diarchy is the mechanism through which the Defence organisation delivers results to Government. Within this diarchy, Mr Ric Smith, the Secretary, is the principal civilian adviser to the Minister and General Peter Cosgrove, the CDF, commands the Australian Defence Force (ADF) and is the principal military adviser to the Minister.
Reporting to the Secretary and CDF, there are 17 key defence leaders. The list below provides the reporting structure. The number of stars indicates the level of seniority, with more stars showing greater seniority members of the Defence Committee are annotated with a (c). As part of this accountability structure, Defence Groups and Services have been classified as either output, owner support or enabling executives.
- Inspector-General ADF: M G Earley ** (Note: The Inspector-General ADF does not hold military rank. He or she reports directly to the CDF and is independent of the normal chains of command. Such independence ensures that the IGADF is not susceptible to undue influence by anyone in the chain of command.)
- Chief of Navy: VADM C Ritchie *** (c)
- Chief of Army: LTGEN P Leahy *** (c)
- Chief of Air Force: AIRMSHL A Houston *** (c)
- Deputy Secretary Intelligence and Security: Mr R Bonighton *** (c)
- Deputy Secretary Strategic Policy: Mr S Carmody *** (c)
- Commander Australian Theatre: RADM M Bonser **
Owner Support Executives
- Chief Defence Scientist: Dr I Chessell *** (c)
- Chief Finance Officer: Mr L Bennett *** (c)
- Vice Chief of the Defence Force: VADM R Shalders *** (c)
- Chief Information Officer: M P Hannan ** (c)
- Head Defence Personnel Executive: RADM B Adams ** (c)
- Head Public Affairs and Corporate Communication: Ms J McKenry **
- Inspector General: Mr C Neumann **
- Defence Improvement: Mr R Baker (acting) ** (Note: Defence Improvement is responsible to Deputy Secretary Corporate Services but performs an Owner Support function and hence is listed separately under owner support)
- Defence Security Authority: Ms M McCarthy * (Note: Defence Security Authority (DSA) is part of the Intelligence and Security Group which is an Output Executive. However, DSA has an Owner Support function, and hence is listed separately under Owner Support
- Deputy Secretary Corporate Services: Mr A Henderson *** (c)
- Under Secretary Defence Materiel: Mr M Roche *** (c)
Note: Deputy Secretary Corporate Services oversees the administration of the Inspector General, and Public Affairs and Corporate Communication Groups.