Opal Mining and Precious Stone Prospecting Access Permit
To obtain access to the Woomera Prohibited Area (WPA) for opal mining or precious stone prospecting activities you need to:
- hold a Precious Stones Prospecting Permit issued by the SA Government Department for Energy and Mining
- hold an Opal Mining and Precious Stone Prospecting Access Permit (DOC) issued by the Woomera Test Range
- obtain approval for the intended access dates using the Opal Mining and Precious Stone Prospecting Dates of Access Notification (DOC).
Before entering the WPA under the permit you must obtain approval for your intended access dates:
- apply at least 10 business days prior to your intended access date
- you may apply for a period of entry of up to three months
- at the end of each three-month period, a new form is to be submitted
- you must also obtain approval for anyone accompanying or assisting you in the WPA.
Opal Mining and Precious Stone Prospecting Permits are valid for 12 months. You must not enter the WPA without approval or on any other dates than those stipulated in your permit.
Permits may contain specific conditions relevant to that individual permit.