Frequently-asked questions about Woomera Prohibited Area legislation and governance
What is the 2014 legislation?
The 2014 legislation comprises the Defence Legislation Amendment (Woomera Prohibited Area) Bill 2014 and Woomera Prohibited Area Rule 2014. The amendment to the Defence Act 1903 gives effect to the recommendations of the Final Report of the Review of the Woomera Prohibited Area (PDF). The Act is supported by the Rule which provides the detailed arrangements to give effect to the legislation.
The amended legislation establishes a coexistence framework that provides greater certainty and assurance to all non-Defence users around Defence activity in the WPA and the associated access arrangements.
What are the changes to the legislation?
The key features of the legislation amendment are:
- access management zones with defined exclusion periods
- permit system
- new compliance and enforcement measures including offences and penalties for entering the WPA without permission and for failing to comply with the conditions of a permit, and
- • compensation provisions which provide for compensation where a person suffers a loss as a result of Defence testing activities within the WPA.
Where can I find …?
- Defence Act 1903
- Woomera Prohibited Area Rule 2014
- Defence Force Regulations 1952: Part VII of these regulations continues to apply to existing users defined in section 72TB(1) of the Defence Act 1903
- Defence Regulation 2016
- Privacy Statement
- Advisory Board Terms of Reference (PDF)
- Review of the Woomera Prohibited Area (Hawke Review) (PDF)