skip to navigation skip to content skip to footer

Defence Member and Family Support

For ADF members and their families

1800 624 608

Civilian superannuation

When you leave the ADF, you will need to choose a civilian superannuation (super) provider for your employer to make contributions into.

If you’re an employee, you are typically entitled to compulsory super contributions from your employer. From 1 July 2014, these super guarantee contributions must be at least 9.5% of your ordinary earnings, up to the ‘maximum contribution base’.

If you are a contractor or self-employed, you may also be entitled to super.

You should provide your tax file number (TFN) to your employer and/or super fund. If you don’t, your super fund may take extra tax out of your super contributions and will not be able to accept any non-employer contributions.

You can choose between a super fund that manages your super for you or you can set up your own self-managed super fund (SMSF).

The Australian Tax Office has more information on Super, including how to keep track of your super, growing you super, accessing super and tax on super.