The Small Business Advocacy Team has been established to support Australian small to medium enterprises (SMEs) and enhance their opportunities to operate and grow in the defence industry sector.
Liaising across all groups and services in Defence, the Advocacy Team will:
- elevate understanding and awareness of commonly reported issues and challenges facing SMEs
- influence Defence procurement policy to remove barriers to participation for SMEs
- develop specific policies and programs to provide enhanced opportunities for SMEs
- support improved communications and delivery of critical services from Defence to businesses of all sizes
The Advocacy Team will primarily remain connected with SMEs through intermediaries including the national industry associations, state and territory advocacy bodies and Office of Defence Industry Support industry engagement teams.
SMEs can contact he Advocacy Team directly to raise specific issues of concern via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Consulting with stakeholders to identify and understand issues impacting SMEs – includes industry associations, state and territory defence industry advocacy bodies, regional SME associations and individual businesses.
- Engaging with senior Defence officials to address identified and confirmed issues affecting SMEs.
- Supporting education programs for delivery to Defence and industry stakeholders who engage with SMEs.
- Engaging with other advocacy bodies to compare insights and, where appropriate, align activities and efforts.
- Providing assistance to various areas of Defence to structure programs and activities to maximise opportunities for participation by SMEs.
- Communicating with stakeholders on details of activities, efforts, achievements and future plans.