Australia regulates the export and supply of military and dual-use goods and technology, including parts and components thereof and related materials and equipment transported to an external territory or nation. The legislation and legislative instrument that governs this is primarily the Defence and Strategic Goods List (DSGL)

Note: The Defence Export Control System (DECS) requires applicants to register as a DEC client before submitting an application. To register, see our Forms page.

I’m not sure if my goods are controlled, how do I find out?

If you are unsure whether your export would require a permit, you should request a DSGL assessment of your goods or services by submitting a completed Defence and Strategic Goods List Assessment form, which will provide you with definitive advice on whether or not your export or supply is controlled. If your goods, services or technology are listed as controlled in the Defence and Strategic Goods List (DSGL) you will then need a permit to export. When in doubt, it is always best to contact DEC for advice specific to your situation.

My goods aren’t controlled, do I still need a permit?

Exports of non-controlled goods, services, software and/or technology, where there is a suspicion that they may be used for a military end-use or weapons of mass destruction (WMD) program, may still fall under export control catch-all legislation. If this may apply to your export, you should ask DEC for advice by submitting an Application to Export Controlled Goods and Technology Form. All applications for export are assessed with consideration to the DSGL, Customs Amendment (Military End-Use) Act, sanctions legislation, and the WMD Act.

If your goods, services or technologies are not controlled you will receive an Outcome of Export Control Assessment letter to attach to your export documentation.