If as a Reservist you sustain an injury or illness related to Defence service, your health care will be provided by Health and Rehabilitation Services until (if appropriate) responsibility is transferred to the DVA military compensation system. 

For routine health requirements, injury or illness not related to Defence service, Reservists serving on other than continuous full-time service (CFTS) should consult their civilian health practitioner. 

Reservists on CFTS are eligible for the same Health and Rehabilitation Services as a permanent member (subject to a medical examination).

Reserve Assistance Program (RAP)

To support the increasing integration of the Reserve workforce, Defence Reservists who are rendering service and do not have access mental health and well-being programs at their civilian employment can access the Reserve Assistance Program (RAP).

The RAP builds on existing ADF Mental Health programs to ensure that Reservists who are rendering service and their immediate family have access to mental health and well-being support, to address both personal and service related challenges.

Call 1300 687 327 (available 24 hours a day from anywhere in Australia for the cost of a local call) for confidential, independent, and free counselling.

For more information about the program or to make a booking to speak with a Defence representative, please email health.wellbeing@defence.gov.au.

Reserve Assistance Program - Fact Sheet (PDF, 219.67 KB)

Reserve Assistance Program - Commanders and Managers (PDF, 235.54 KB)

Reserve Assistance Program awareness sessions (PDF, 2.83 MB)