Ex-serving Members

Ex-ADF members can request access to their service records held by Defence Archives by completing the AE824 Request for Records Smart form – (Please right click the link and select Save target as or Save link as to download the form).

Remember to download the Smart form to your computer first, so you can complete them using the free Adobe Acrobat Reader program

All Request for records are now required to include two certified copies of Proof of Identity (POI) documents.

  • One PRIMARY identity document (Australian Driver’s Licence, Australian Passport or Birth Certificate)
  • One SECONDARY identity document (Medicare Card, Australian Seniors Card, RSL Membership Card).

If you require assistance with the web form or require any technical assistance, please contact the Defence Service Centre on 1800 333 362 or +61 2 6455 1440 from outside of Australia.

For more information on who can certify the copies please visit Immigration and citizenship.

For further information regarding the POI Requirements, please refer to the National Identity Proofing Guidelines.

Please note: No information will be provided to anyone other than the ex-member unless written authorisation has been provided by that person. If the ex-member is deceased, proof of death and proof of relationship must be provided including proof of identity (POI) documents.

Please click on the following link for more information on the Defence Customer Service Network Privacy Notice.

Defence Archives provides access to records via email. The types of records provided may include:

  • Service Report
  • Full copy of personal documents
  • Full copy of health documents

Please note that in some cases you may only require access to particular documents in your records depending on the purpose of your request. By specifying the purpose for request on the request for service records form, you will be able to assist Defence Archives in determining which records you require. Please enter a reason for request in the reason and urgency of request field on the request for service records form.

Defence Health Centres (Medical Units) may request access to current members Medical Records held at Defence Archives under the following conditions:

  • Where the UMR is in the custody of Defence Archives
  • Where the original UMR cannot be located at the member's losing or gaining unit and an investigation has taken place, a Digital copy can be requested from Defence Archives (see below)

Where the UMR is in the custody of Defence Archives

  • Medical Units must first search Objective to see if a UMR has been registered & digitised in Objective. Health Units should have privileges to access the file. If there is an issue with access to the digital file on Objective email: dascarchives.productsupport@defence.gov.au to assist with objective access
  • When searching Objective for the file, if the 'current location' is shown as being in one of Defence Archives Repositories and there is no digital file send a request to adf.records@defence.gov.aufor a digital copy

Where the UMR has been 'lost'

  • Medical Units are to perform an investigation to ensure that the UMR cannot be located at either the members 'losing' or 'gaining' unit
  • If all attempts to locate the UMR have been exhausted Medical Units are to request copies of the CMR, attach evidence that an investigation has taken place and Forward to adf.records@defence.gov.au via email.

From 29 November 2013, Defence changed its policy in regards to filing of mental health documentation. All documentation raised for mental health assessments will be filed as medical records. Any mental health documentation completed prior to 29 November 2013 will be retained as psychology records.

If the information you are seeking is not on your psychology record, it is advised you obtain a copy of your medical record.

To request your psychology record, please complete the following form (ensuring it is signed by you — the Defence member or authorised representative).

  • AE824 Request for Records Smart form – (Please right click the link and select Save target as or Save link as to download the form).

If you are a current or ex-serving member seeking access to your Military Compensation file and your claim is post 1999, please contact the Department of Veterans' Affairs.

If you are a current or ex-serving member seeking access to your Military Compensation file and your claim was pre 1999, please contact the National Archives of Australia.

If you are seeking access to your ADF training records or seeking civil accreditation of your courses that you undertook while serving, please contact the relevant Service below:

Navy Registered Training Organisation (RTO)

Navy RTO Section Training Centre
Department of Defence
PO Box 7913
Email: navy.rto@defence.gov.au
Phone: (02) 6266 2500
Fax: (02) 6266 2388

Army Registered Training Organisation (RTO)

As of 01 May 2017, all Army RTO enquiries are to be forwarded to the DCAM Customer Service Network.
Phone: 1800DEFENCE (1800 333 362)
Email: yourcustomer.service@defence.gov.au

Air Force Registered Training Organisation (RTO)

RTO Manager Air Force
Headquarters Air Command DTS
Glenbrook Great Western Highway
Email: raaf.accreditation@defence.gov.au
Phone: (02) 4737 7833
Fax: (02) 4377 7140

If you wish to make an amendment to your personnel records that contain incorrect, out of date or misleading information you may do so by either of the following:

Privacy Act 1988

Australian Privacy Principle (APP) 13 - correction of personal information provides that an APP entity must take reasonable steps to correct personal information it holds, to ensure it is accurate, up-to-date, complete, relevant and not misleading, having regard to the purposes for which it is held.

The requirement to take reasonable steps applies in two circumstances

  • Where an APP entity is satisfied, independently of any request, that personal information it holds is incorrect; or
  • Where an individual requests an APP entity to correct their personal information.

Further information on APP 13 is available from: OAIC Website.

Please forward your request for amendments to defence.privacy@defence.gov.au

Freedom of Information Act 1982

You may apply, under the FOI Act, for amendment or annotation of a record of your personal information that you consider to be incomplete, incorrect, out of date or misleading.

However, several conditions must be met to make a valid request for amendment or annotation which is outlined in the document provided below.