If an individual or business has suffered loss or damage as a consequence of Defence activities involving per- and poly-fluoroalkyl substances (PFAS), they are open to submit a legal claim to Defence.

There are 2 ways to submit a legal claim to Defence:

  1. Send a letter detailing:

    • the loss or damage suffered
    • the values of the loss or damage, and how that has been calculated
    • the reasons why the loss or damage is considered the consequence of Defence activities.
  2. Complete and email the claim form. Attach any relevant documentation which supports the claim, including, by way of example only, receipts, tax returns, valuation reports, bank statements, or PFAS test results.

    Claim form for PFAS related loss or damage (PDF, 481.36 KB)


Defence assesses each legal claim on a case-by-case basis, in accordance with the Attorney-General’s Legal Services Directions 2017.

Independent advice

The Pro Bono Centre provides contact details for a small selection of legal assistance and pro bono services in each State and Territory. This list is not exhaustive.

The link to the Pro Bono Centre is provided for information purposes only. Its inclusion in this website should not be understood to mean that Defence considers that legal advice is necessary or appropriate.