skip to navigation skip to content skip to footer

Pay and Conditions

ADF Member's Guide

Overpayments and recovery

You may be paid more than you are eligible for. This is rare but it can happen due to a change of plan or an administrative error. For example, you might get a housemate but your rent allowance rate is not adjusted in time.

Who may have to make repayments?

You will have to make repayments if you are a member of the:

  • Permanent Forces
  • Reserves on continuous full-time service, or
  • Reserves on Reserve service.

What should I do if I am paid too much?

Contact the Defence Service Centre, Customer Support Centre or your Army Pay and Administration Centre Shopfront. They will tell you if the extra money is an overpayment.

If you are paid too much, you must repay it. You might be paid a single payment or several payments too much.

Don’t assume that you can pay it off slowly. You may have to prove that faster payment will cause financial hardship.

More information about overpayments and recovery can be found in Chapter 3 Part 4.

Important information

As the name suggests, this Member's Guide is designed as a guide to help you understand how your pay and conditions work. It is not a legal document. Therefore, if there is any conflict between the Member's Guide and Defence Determination 2016/19, Conditions of Service (and the Determinations made by the Defence Force Remuneration Tribunal), as compiled in PACMAN, PACMAN is the authority.

This Member's Guide does not incorporate or make provision for members on a flexible service determination.

For this topic....



Who do I contact

Defence Service Centre

1800 DEFENCE (1800 333 362)

Website feedback

Do you like the Member's Guide layout?
Would you like to see more information?
Do you have any suggestions for us to consider?

Help us improve the Members Guide by providing your feedback and suggestions.