skip to navigation skip to content skip to footer

Pay and Conditions

ADF Member's Guide

Pet relocation

You may get some costs refunded for moving your pets in Australia.

Who can get a refund for pet relocation?

You may get a refund for pet relocation if you are a member of the:

  • Permanent Forces, or
  • Reserves on continuous full-time service.

When can I get a refund for pet relocation?

You may get a refund for pet relocation allowance if you pay for:

  • the commercial transportation of your pet/s, and
  • boarding for your pet/s.

The company that transports and/or boards your pets must be a commercial provider if you want to get a refund.

What should your decision-maker consider?

Your decision-maker should consider:

  • your posting
  • your removal and accommodation
  • what pet/s you have
  • how many pet/s you have
  • how the pet/s will be transported and boarded
  • any discounted transport rates you may get
  • whether the pet/s are owned for economic or business purposes, and
  • travel time between the old and new posting locations.

When can't I get a refund for pet relocation?

You can't get a refund if you don’t use a registered, licensed business. If a family member or friend helps relocate the pet/s you won’t get a refund.

You also can't get a refund for pet relocation if you:

  • buy items or equipment to transport your pet/s
  • buy items or equipment for your pet’s boarding
  • buy items or equipment which you can continue to use for your pet/s or
  • own a pet mainly for economic or business purposes.

Can I get a pet relocation refund if I post overseas?

If you’re posted overseas, you may get a refund for pet relocation for:

  • commercial transport of your pet/s to a location in Australia, or
  • boarding for your pet/s for as long as you get temporary accommodation allowance at your old posting location.

More information about getting a refund for pet relocation can be found in Chapter 6 Part 1 Division 3.

Important information

As the name suggests, this Member's Guide is designed as a guide to help you understand how your pay and conditions work. It is not a legal document. Therefore, if there is any conflict between the Member's Guide and Defence Determination 2016/19, Conditions of Service (and the Determinations made by the Defence Force Remuneration Tribunal), as compiled in PACMAN, PACMAN is the authority.

This Member's Guide does not incorporate or make provision for members on a flexible service determination.

For this topic....


Who do I contact

Defence Service Centre

1800 DEFENCE (1800 333 362)

Website feedback

Do you like the Member's Guide layout?
Would you like to see more information?
Do you have any suggestions for us to consider?

Help us improve the Members Guide by providing your feedback and suggestions.