skip to navigation skip to content skip to footer

Pay and Conditions

ADF Member's Guide

Loss or damage to clothing or personal effects

You may be able to make a claim for personal items lost, damaged or stolen at work.

You may be able to make a claim if you are a member of the:

  • Permanent Forces
  • Reserves on continuous full-time service, or
  • Reserves on Reserve service.

When can I claim for loss or damage?

You can claim loss or damage directly related to your service. The types of items that you can claim for include:

  • a briefcase
  • a wallet
  • jewellery
  • a watch
  • glasses.

When can't I claim for loss or damage?

You can't claim for some items. This includes:

  • when Defence repairs or replaces the item
  • if you didn't take reasonable steps to avoid loss or damage
  • if you were going to or from leave when it happened, or
  • if the items are overseas.

How much can I get for loss or damage?

Defence will decide how much to compensate you. It will look at:

  • the item's value at the time of loss or damage
  • whether you contributed to the loss or damage
  • whether you can claim insurance
  • whether you can be or have been compensated for damages
  • whether the item can be repaired, or
  • any service fee to be paid.

You may get compensation from Defence and then get money for the loss from someone else, for example an insurer. You must repay Defence the compensation you got.

More information about this allowance can be found in Chapter 10 Part 4.

Important information

As the name suggests, this Member's Guide is designed as a guide to help you understand how your pay and conditions work. It is not a legal document. Therefore, if there is any conflict between the Member's Guide and Defence Determination 2016/19, Conditions of Service (and the Determinations made by the Defence Force Remuneration Tribunal), as compiled in PACMAN, PACMAN is the authority.

This Member's Guide does not incorporate or make provision for members on a flexible service determination.

For this topic....


Who do I contact

Defence Service Centre

1800 DEFENCE (1800 333 362)

Website feedback

Do you like the Member's Guide layout?
Would you like to see more information?
Do you have any suggestions for us to consider?

Help us improve the Members Guide by providing your feedback and suggestions.