Division 5: Member and dependants remaining overseas
The purpose of this Division is to address ongoing issues for a member and their dependants if they remain in a posting location that is affected by COVID-19.
14A.1.21 Education assistance
- This section applies to a member accompanied by a dependant who is a child and all the following apply.
The child usually attends school in the member’s posting location overseas.
- The child is unable to attend school because the school is closed for the purpose of controlling the spread of COVID-19.
- The member is eligible to be reimbursed the reasonable cost of up to 10 hours tuition per week for the dependant for each week, or part of a week, that the school is closed.
14A.1.22 Reduction in overseas allowances
- This section applies to a member if all of the following apply.
The member is an accompanied member.
- The member’s dependant has received an evacuation flight under section 14A.1.4.
- The member is receiving the accompanied rate of an allowance under one of the following.
Chapter 15 Part 2, Overseas living allowances – member posted before 1 July 2017.
Chapter 15 Part 2A, Overseas living allowances – member posted on or after 1 July 2017.
- Chapter 16 Part 2, Hardship allowance – member posted before 1 July 2017.
- Chapter 16 Part 2A, Location allowance – member posted on or after 1 July 2017.
- The member ceases to be eligible for the accompanied rate of the allowance if the Director of Attaché and Overseas Management decides it is reasonable in the circumstances until the day the dependant returns to the posting location overseas.
- If subsection 2 applies, the member is eligible for the unaccompanied rate for the period the member does not receive the accompanied rate.
14A.1.23 Reunion travel
This section applies to a member whose dependants were required to evacuate from the posting location overseas.
1. Reunion travel is not available to a member whose dependant voluntarily evacuated the posting location.
2. Reunion travel under this section is independent from overseas reunion visits provided in Chapter 15 Part 3 Division 3.
- The member is eligible for a return economy class flight between the posting locations to the nearest airport to their dependant if all of the following apply.
One of the following applies.
The dependant’s evacuation flight was at least 3 months before the day the member’s reunion flight to Australia departs.
The member's last return reunion flight to the posting location overseas was at least 3 months before the day the member’s reunion flight to Australia departs.
- The member has recreation leave credits available for the duration of the reunion visit.
The member has been granted leave for the duration of the reunion visit.
Note: The member may be eligible for short absence leave under Chapter 5 Part 11 Division 3 if they are required to isolate themself on return to Australia.
Note: A member’s ability to access reunion travel under this section may be limited by international travel restrictions.
- A reunion visit taken under this section reduces the number of reunion visits a member is eligible for under section 15.3.12 by 1.