Application to Register as a Broker
This application form is for registration as a broker for the purposes of the Defence Trade Control Act 2012.
Only a registered broker can apply for a permit to arrange for another person to supply Defence and Strategic Goods List controlled goods or technology from a place outside Australia to another place outside Australia.
More information on brokering is available on the Brokering of Export Controlled Goods and Technologies page of this website.
The SmartForm functionality works best when the form is opened in Adobe Reader. Opening the Smartform in Adobe Acrobat Professional or another PDF reader may cause problems with the form. Adobe Reader can be downloaded for free from the Adobe website
and is suitable for use on most operating systems. Please ensure you have the latest version of Adobe Reader installed to avoid problems when using the Smartform.
- To complete this application form you will need to quote your DECS Client
Registration Number (DCRN). If you don't have a DCRN, you must first register
with Defence. A Client Registration Form can be downloaded from the Forms page.
- When you submit your completed application, you may be required to attach
supporting documentation. Supporting documentation may include:
- A National Police Certificate from the Australian Federal Police*; and
- Additional information or statement.
Applications for a police record check can be obtained from this website.
There is no requirement to obtain a National Police Certificate if the applicant holds a current security clearance level of Negative Vetting Level 1 or higher. There is no requirement to obtain a National Police Certificate if the applicant holds a current security clearance level of Negative Vetting Level 1 or higher.
More information on
using the form can be found in the Guide to Using a SmartForm.
: When you complete this form, you will be prompted to submit it via email to DEC
. You do not need to post or fax a copy of the application as well
Problems using the SmartForm?
If you have difficulty opening or using the SmartForm from the link above, you may download and save a PDF version of the form to your computer. To download a copy of the form do the following:
- 'right-click' (Windows) or 'control-click' (Mac) on this link;
- select "Save Target As..." (Windows - Internet Explorer) or "Download Linked File As..." (Mac OS - Safari);
- select a suitable location for the form to be saved to your computer; then
- select "Save".
* These commands may vary slightly for other web browsers such as Google Chrome or Firefox and the operating system you are using.
Once you have downloaded the form, you should open it in Adobe Reader to complete it. When the form is complete, you will be prompted to submit it via email to us.
* If you have Adobe Acrobat Pro or another PDF editor on your system, these programs may be set as your default reader for accessing PDF documents. If this is the case, you will have to tell the system to open the form with Adobe Reader. To do this 'right-click' (Windows) or 'control-click' (Mac) on the saved file and select 'Open With', then select Adobe Reader from the list of programs. If you do not have Adobe Reader installed it can be downloaded for free from the Adobe website.
If you continue to have problems using the SmartForm please contact DEC.