Roles And Responsibilities
The DS&VS leads Defence's protective security efforts, and;
- sets Defence protective security policy—including authoring its primary source of protective security policy, the Defence Security Manual
- assists the Secretary, Chief of the Defence Force, Group Heads and Service Chiefs to manage security risk
- under the auspices of the Australian Government Security Vetting Agency undertakes security clearance vetting for the whole-of-government
- monitors Defence's security performance.
First Assistant Secretary Security and Vetting Service
The First Assistant Secretary Security and Vetting Service (FASS&VS):
- is responsible for the performance of the protective security function within Defence
- leads the Defence Security Community
- manages the Defence Security and Vetting Service
- is Celia Perkins.
Security Operations Branch
The Security Operations Branch provides operational support to Defence and defence industry through:
- protective security advice and assurance
- investigation of serious and complex security incidents
- strategic security threat assessments
- security performance evaluation.
Security Policy and Plans Branch
The Security Policy and Plans Branch develops and manages the security forward agenda, encompassing:
- security policy (including Information and Communications Technology security policy)
- strategic security planning
- security training and awareness
- defence industry security.
Australian Government Security Vetting Agency
The Australian Government Security Vetting Agency is the central agency for the processing and granting of security clearances for Australian Government agencies (apart from exempt agencies, and State and Territory agencies).