Research/Environmental/Other Purposes Permit

You must have a Research or Environmental (DOC) or Other Purpose (DOC) access permit before accessing any part of the Woomera Prohibited Area (WPA) except the:

  • Stuart Highway
  • Lake Cadibarrawirracanna Road (Public Access Route)
  • Olympic Dam Highway (B97)
  • William Creek Road
  • Woomera Village.

Permits are required for access to all other roads and areas. This includes the Anne Beadell Highway, a 4WD track from Coober Pedy to Western Australia.

Users require a permit for each vehicle in their party and they are valid for up to 12 months.

Submit permit applications to the WPA Coordination Office.

These should be submitted within the following time frames:

  • Research – at least 30 business days prior to proposed entry
  • Environmental – at least 20 business days prior to proposed entry
  • Other purposes – at least 20 business days prior to proposed entry.

Processing times indicated above commence upon receipt of complete and accurate permit applications. Processing times will be longer if applications are incomplete or additional information is required from applicants.

You can apply for access to tenements or areas located within the WPA once you have a current permit or Deed of Access.

Permits will not be issued for travel in an access zone during its exclusion periods. Exclusions periods are reserved for Defence use only, to ensure the safety and security of travellers and Defence staff.