Image Gallery: August 2009
14 August 2009
Operation Ashika Assist cease operations
Sonar imagery of the vessel suspected to be the sunken ferry MV Princess Ashika has been released as Australian Navy divers complete their commitment to OP Ashika Assist.
The imagery from the Royal New Zealand Navy’s REMUS (Remote Environment Measuring Underwater System) detachment revealed a vessel on the ocean floor with dimensions matching those of the ferry which sank in waters SSW of Nomuka in the Ha’apai group of islands.
The vessel is sitting in 110m of water, and has a bow section, bridge, passenger accommodation and cargo bays matching those of the MV Princess Ashika.
“This gives us a very high level of confidence it is the MV Princess Ashika,” OC of RNZN Operational Dive Team LCDR Andrew McMillan said.
“It matches the dimensions of that vessel.”
LCDR McMillan said future operations were intended to confirm the identity of the vessel, using cameras onboard a remotely operated vehicle.
HMNZS Manawanui is due to arrive in Tonga on Saturday 15 August, and will provide a platform from which to launch the ROV.
The RNZN Operational Dive Team regularly uses the HMNZS Manawanui as a dive platform. The vessel uses a four point mooring system and can anchor in the 110m of water surrounding the sunken vessel.
LCDR McMillan said the ROV would be flown around the vessel to film the vessel’s name plates, but rough weather was likely to preclude operations at the dive site for several days.
“Monday (17 August) is most likely the earliest opportunity to get out there and do the operation,” LCDR McMillan said.
Meanwhile divers of AUSCDT ONE packed the equipment they deployed to Tonga at His Majesty’s Naval Base Masefield (Touliki).
Earlier in the week AUSCDT ONE divers established that the floating mooring line attached to the MV Princess Ashika extended beyond the deployed diving capabilities of both AUSCDT ONE and ODT.
The divers from both teams battled rough seas aboard the Tongan patrol boat VOEA Pangai.
Australian clearance diver Leading Seaman Simon Scott said, as their mission began, the divers were eager to investigate the search area and find the sunken ferry.
We really want to find the vessel, it’s our job to be here,” LSCD Scott said on Monday (10 AUG).
“We are happy to be here to assist the Tongan Government and their families.”
Tongan Police Force figures indicate that of 149 people believed to be onboard the Princess Ashika, 54 survivors and two bodies have been recovered. Ninety three people are still unaccounted for
The sinking of MV Princess Ashika is Tonga’s worst ferry disaster since December 1977 when the boat Tokomea disappeared with 63 people on board.
20090813raaf8526919_0062 |
![]() |
20090813raaf8526919_0071 |
![]() |
20090813raaf8526919_0079 |
![]() |
20090813raaf8526919_0091 |
![]() |
20090813raaf8526919_0103 |
![]() |





