The Naval General Service Medal (NGSM) was instituted in 1915 for service in minor Naval war-like operations. As is the case with other general service' medals the NGSM is always issued with a clasp denoting the area of operations. Subsequent service is recognised by the award of further clasps to be worn on the original medal.
Members mentioned in despatches for operations recognised by the NGSM 1915-1962 after 11 Aug 1920 were approved to wear a bronze oak leaf on the medal ribbon.
The NGSM 1915-62 is cupro-nickel medal with the obverse having the effigy of the reigning sovereign at time of issue. The reverse bears an image of Britannia' in a chariot pulled by two sea-horses.
The NGSM 1915-62 ribbon has a wide white central stripe, flanked by two red pin-stripes, further flanked by two white stripes, which in turn are flanked by two red outer stripes.
There have been sixteen clasps issued for the NGSM 1915-1962.
Web page last updated 19 January, 2012