Construction activities commenced in December 2012 at Moorebank and was completed in mid 2014.. On 1 July 2014, the new site was officially opened with the designation ‘LTGEN Des Mueller, AO, Joint Logistics Complex – Joint Logistics Unit (East)’, in honour of the significant contribution made by Lieutenant General Des Mueller, AO to the concept of Joint Logistics, and as the inaugural Commander Support Command – Australia.
Photos from the official opening can be viewed on the Defence Image Gallery.
- The original site is around 110ha, of which Defence leases around 83ha from the Moorebank Industrial Property Trust.
- Many of the existing facilities date back to World War II. Aside from asbestos removal and re-cladding, there has been little investment in these warehouses over the last 70 years.
- Consolidating to fewer facilities with a reduced net storage and maintenance footprint will help the Defence National Storage and Distribution Centre to more efficiently and effectively provide logistics support to the Australian Defence Force.
- The new facilities and infrastructure for the new Joint Logistics Unit (East) are on the Commonwealth owned land to the north and east of the current leased site at Moorebank.
The Commonwealth acquired the existing Moorebank site in 1913. The site has been used for the storage of military equipment since 1915 and many of the existing warehouses still date back to World War II. In the early 1990s, the site became the Defence National Storage and Distribution Centre (DNSDC), as part of a reorganisation of the Defence wholesale logistics network.
In 2003, the Commonwealth disposed of approximately 83ha of the current site, leasing the property back. The initial lease term was 10 years (expiring 2013) with two five-year extension options available to Defence.
In order for the DNSDC to more effectively and efficiently deliver support to the Australian Defence Force, there is a need to consolidate the existing warehousing and maintenance functions at Moorebank. This necessitated a significant investment in new facilities and infrastructure.
It was not cost-effective for Defence to make a significant infrastructure investment on the leased site.
Location Plan & High Level Site Plan
Summary of Works
Defence has constructed the following new facilities:
- signalised entry off Moorebank Avenue, staff car-park, vehicle check-point and guardhouse including pass office;
- office building for the DNSDC headquarters staff;
- General Storage Warehouse of approximately 40,000 m2;
- storage of loan and repair pool equipment;
- storage and maintenance facility for Aerial Delivery Equipment;
- warehouse for cargo consolidation and other support to operations;
- workshop for the maintenance of vehicles and other equipment;
- secure storage and maintenance facility;
- dangerous goods storage facility;
- pavement for the storage of vehicles and other equipment (for example containers and generators); and
- in ground engineering services, roads and perimeter fencing to support the above works.
At Moorebank, to the works included regeneration of the portion of ANZAC Creek which runs along the eastern boundary of the site and borders the West Wattle Grove Community. The regeneration works included replanting and revegetation works along the western boundary.
Summary of the Delivery Mechanism
Defence elected to use the Managing Contractor form of delivery for the works at Moorebank. More information on the Managing Contractor form of delivery is available at Estate Management
Following a competitive tender process, Defence awarded the Managing Contractor Contract to a John Holland / Joss Construction Joint Venture in mid 2011.
The John Holland / Joss Construction Joint Venture was responsible for managing the design and construction of the project, while all design and construction activities were undertaken by subcontractors, engaged by the Managing Contractor.
The National Code of Practice for the Construction Industry and the Australian Government Implementation Guidelines for the National Code of Practice for the Construction Industry, August 2009, applied to this project.