Work undertaken by Defence Policy Officers includes contribution to:
- Policy development, strategic planning and advice to the Minister for Defence, the National Security Committee of Cabinet and wider Government;
- Development of strategic guidance for Defence and the ADF, and to major reviews of defence policy and planning and military strategy;
- Analysis and assessment of capability development proposals;
- Managing a strategy-led program of industry engagement and innovation though international relationships with allies and partners, and facilitating senior
international visits and managing Defence’s international representation overseas; and
- Capacity building of regional security partners through coordinating Defence’s participation in inter-agency policy processes on strategic challenges, the Defence
Export Control system and Defence’s involvement in the Foreign Investment Review Board process.
The Defence Policy Stream offers training and development opportunities leading to a career as part of the newly formed Strategic Policy and Intelligence Group. As a graduate, your qualifications, ability to think
critically combined with your naturally inquisitive nature will enhance the professional development training provided to you. You will develop highly effective skills in strategic thinking, analysis,
communication and management, and be provided a unique experience working at the strategic centre of Defence.
If you are looking for meaningful and challenging work while contributing to protect Australia’s national interest, you will find it at Defence.