Frequently Asked Questions
- Where do I find information about honours and awards?
- Where do I find information on Defence health?
- Where is information related to Defence contracting/tendering?
- How do I contact the Navy, Army or Air Force?
- Where do I find information about Defence housing?
- Where do I find information related to employment opportunities within Defence?
- I am a member of the public with a general Defence question, who do I contact?
- I am a member of the media with a Defence question, who do I contact?
- Why did I get a virus infected e-mail from a defence.gov.au email address?
- Where do I find information related to Defence equipment disposal?
- Where do I find information related to the Defence Community Organisation?
- What is ADF policy relating to donations to operational areas?
1. Where do I find information about honours and awards?
The purpose of Defence honours and awards is to recognise the service of members of the Australian Defence Force.
For Navy, Army and RAAF medical records please e-mail email@example.com
For Medical Equipment Set Individual Foreign Service (MESIFS) enquiries, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information please see the Joint Health Command Website.
3. Where is information related to Defence contracting/tendering?
Try the Defence Materiel Organisation page. They have specific information about contracting policy here, and specific information about tenders here. General questions regarding the Defence Materiel Organisation can be directed to DMO.Communication@defence.gov.au.
A few other useful links can be found on our Industry, Business and Contracting page.
4. How do I contact the Navy, Army or Air Force?
The contact web page for the Royal Australian Navy is here.
The contact web page for the Australian Army is here.
The contact web page for the Royal Australian Air Force is here.
5. Where do I find information about Defence housing?
The Defence Housing Authority provides housing solutions for all the members of the Australian Defence Force with families and also provides assistance to single ADF members.
Other information can be found at the Defence Personnel Executive page.
6. Where do I find information related to employment opportunities within Defence?
You can find links to information on employment opportunities within Defence at our Careers and Recruiting page.
7. I am a member of the public with a general Defence question, who do I contact?
All general public enquiries should be directed to 1300 333 362 (from Australia)
+61 2 6144 9190 (if calling from overseas).
8. I am a member of the media with a Defence question, who do I contact?
Please see our Media Contacts page within our Online Media Room.
9. Why did I get a virus infected email from a defence.gov.au email address?
Many modern viruses (usually those known as "e-mail worms") will "spoof" or fake their "from" address so as to hide their actual origin. The defence.gov.au address that may show as the origin of an infected e-mail was likely found by the virus when it infected someone elses computer (outside of the Defence network) that had that defence.gov.au e-mail address stored in it. Other viruses may make up their "from" address out of addresses they have found along the way, so that an e-mail may appear to come from email@example.com for example, or some other non-existant address.
You can find out the actual origin of the infected e-mail by looking at the e-mail header information. The process to do this varies or may not be possible depending on the e-mail client you use. You can try contacting your Internet service provider's help desk for more information.
To ensure a fair competitive opportunity for all interested parties, almost all surplus serviceable Defence equipment is disposed of through auctions run by major commercial auctioneers. Such sales may include functional items with a direct commercial use such as vehicles, spares, small assets and office equipment.
The very few Defence memorabilia items that are suitable for public displays would normally be listed for competitive tender on the AusTender website if they became surplus. To be notified when tenders occur you may wish to complete a register of interest form from the Defence Disposal Agency Website.
General advice and policy assistance on disposals issues is available from the Defence Disposals Agency Help Desk. The help desk can be contacted during NSW business hours by:
Phone: 02 9393 2914Further information on the disposal and sale of surplus Defence equipment, including some of the items that Defence does not sell, is available from the Defence Disposal Agency Website.
Fax: 02 9393 3542
11. Where do I find information related to the Defence Community Organisation?
The Defence Community Organisation (DCO) provides a broad range of individual and program related services to the ADF community.
These services aim to support ADF families to balance the demands of military service with personal and family commitments.
12. What is ADF policy relating to donations to operational areas?
Defence does not accept or transport donations of goods to operational areas but in certain circumstances may consider their delivery.
- Humanitarian Aid or Assistance
Humanitarian Aid includes medicine, food, water, shelter and clothing needed in the immediate aftermath of a natural disaster or conflict. Where humanitarian agencies and commercial carriers are unable to access the area and Defence has been mobilised to provide assistance, Defence will consider provision of transport where there is an urgent and immediate need to a community.
- Gifts in Kind
Gifts in Kind may be goods and equipment such books and stationery, sporting equipment, toys or clothing that are donated after the urgent needs of a community in crisis have been met. As a rule, Defence does not accept or transport Gifts in Kind, although this can be waived with approval by the Minister or Chief of Defence Force. To be eligible for the waiver certain criteria must be met. For more information on donating Humanitarian Aid or Gifts in Kind contact the Australian Council for International Development on (02) 6285 1816.
- Donations to deployed ADF Personnel In general
Defence does not accept donations for ADF personnel deployed on operations. This is primarily due to the limited distribution means in the area of operations.