Environmental Management System (EMS)
The EMS acknowledges that planning activities must occur across all levels of the Defence hierarchy (i.e. strategic, operational and tactical levels). The functions of the EMS planning phase are to:
- identify Defence’s legal and other requirements
- identify where Defence activities and environmental factors interact to generate potential environmental risk
- determine the objectives and targets for addressing risk
- identify and prioritise environmental management actions that will be undertaken to achieve objectives and targets, including expected resourcing, training and awareness requirements
- seek funding for management actions where required
- consider the potential environmental impacts of proposed projects and obtain required approvals.
Despite the functions of planning being the same throughout the EMS, planning at the strategic level occurs for the whole of Defence, whereas operational and tactical planning occurs on region and site-specific scales.