JP 2059 Bulk Liquid Distribution
Point of Contact
The Australian Defence Force (ADF) has a mature and functional bulk fuel and water storage and distribution capability, however the present systems are dated and do not take advantage of developments such as modern Work Health and Safety principles, containerisation and palletised load systems. In addition, some of the in-service systems are approaching life of type and require enhancement, replacement or supplementation if emerging requirements are to be met.
JP2059 seeks to deliver these capability requirements through a series of project phases aimed at improving and upgrading the current bulk water and fuel systems. Phase 1 of the project delivered enhanced bulk fuel and storage and bulk fuel transfer systems in response to the requirements of the ADF East Timor deployment. Phases 2 and 3 are focussed on specific areas such as acquiring new water purification technology, bulk fuel and water storage solutions, fuel transfer systems and an over-the-shore fuel storage and distribution system.
Phase 2 aims to provide a bulk fuel and water storage and distribution capability to support the concurrent deployment of:
- A brigade-based joint task force;
- A battalion group, including their supporting attachments, deployed on independent operations; and
- A unit-line refuelling capability for the Armed Reconnaissance Helicopter.
Acquisition under Phase 2 will address these requirements by purchasing Military-off-the-Shelf or Commercial-off-the-Shelf systems, with some capability elements expected to be met through subsequent project phases of JP 2059 or LAND 121 (Overlander).
Phase 2 deliverables consist of:
- Fuel and Water Bladder Systems;
- Fuel Transfer Systems, including the Towed Flexible Barge System; and
- Improved Manoeuvre System, which involves the upgrade of the Tank and Pump assemblies.
Phase 2 has delivered the following:
- Fuel and Water Bladder System consisting of the following items are in service:
- 74 x Collapsible Fabric Tanks;
- 238 x Collapsible Fabric Drums;
- 47 x Fuel pumps; and
- 34 x Water pumps.
- Fuel Transfer System consisting of the following items are in service:
- 22.5km of Mainline pumping system and associated pumping equipment;
- 1 x Tank Collapsible Marine System; and
- 9 x Towed Flexible Barges.
The remaining items to be delivered as part of Phase 2 consist of the following:
- 3 x Towed Flexible Barge and Discharge System; and
- 141 x modified Tank & Pump Assemblies.
All significant sub-projects planned for Phase 2 are in contract, with the scope for the remaining acquisitions (detailed below), expected to transition to LAND 121 (Overlander) for completion:
- Refuelling module and vehicle for the Armed Reconnaissance Helicopter;
- Fuel and water vehicle storage modules.
Phase 3 – Water Purification and Desalination
Phase 3 will provide a water purification and desalination capability to support the concurrent deployment of a brigade-based joint task force and a battalion group. The capability provided will produce potable water from a wide range of poor quality source water.
Phase 3 deliverables consist of the following:
- Source Water Test Kits;
- Water Purification and Desalination; and
- Bulk Water Storage.
Phase 3 has delivered the following:
- 23 x Source Water Test kits have been delivered and are in-service;
- Water Purification and Desalination, including:
- 4 x Water Purification Systems (Light) have been delivered and are in-service; and
- 18 x Water Purification and Desalination Systems Medium, have been delivered and operator and maintainer introduction into service training is currently underway.
- Bulk Water Storage, including:
- 25 x water storage bladders (capacity 22500 litres) have been delivered and are in-service; and
- 30 x water storage bladders (capacity 136 litres) have been delivered and are in-service.
Phase 3 is due to be closed in 2013.
Point of Contact
JP 2059 - Bulk Liquid Distribution
Engineer Systems Program Office
Land Support Systems Branch
Land Systems Division
Defence Materiel Organisation
Victoria Barracks Melbourne
256-310 St Kilda Road
SOUTHBANK VIC 3006
Project Manager Phase 2
Telephone: +61 3 9282 5469
Facsimile: +61 3 9282 6477
Project Director JP2059
Telephone: +61 3 9282 4233
Facsimile: +61 3 9282 6477
Last updated: Feb 2013