Media Room | Reports and Publications | Careers and Recruiting | Industry and Contracts | Other Defence Links

Fallen Combat Engineer returns home

Fallen Combat Engineer Corporal Scott James Smith has returned home to his family and comrades at a solemn ceremony at Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) Base Richmond in Sydney.

Members of Corporal Smith’s unit, the Special Operations Engineer Regiment, met the RAAF C-17 Globemaster aircraft and formed an honour guard and bearer party to escort Corporal Smith’s casket to his family.

Corporal Smith was received by his family, members of Special Operations Engineer Regiment, Chief of the Defence Force General David Hurley, Chief of Army Lieutenant General David Morrison and Special Operations Commander Australia Major General ‘Gus’ Gilmore.

Lieutenant General Morrison offered his condolences Corporal Smith’s family, mates and fellow soldiers.

“The death of Corporal Smith is a tragedy for his family and a great loss for the broader Army family,” Lieutenant General Morrison said.

“Today we recognise the sacrifice that Corporal Smith, a fine young man and a great soldier, has made serving his country."

Major General Gilmore spoke of Corporal Smith’s lasting legacy.

“Scott was universally respected by everyone in the Special Operations Engineer Regiment, and well liked by all who crossed paths with this fine young man,” Major General Gilmore said.
“His fellow combat engineers will honour his sacrifice through continuing the tough and dangerous work they undertake in Afghanistan, with courage and distinction.”
Corporal Smith, from the Special Operations Engineer Regiment based at Holsworthy Barracks in Sydney, was killed on Sunday, 21 October 2012, when an improvised explosive device (IED) detonated during a mission in northern Helmand province.

The mission was part of a significant operation against an insurgent network specialising in IED attacks, which directly influences insurgent activity and security in Uruzgan province.

Corporal Smith was part of a small team tasked with clearing a suspected insurgent compound when the incident occurred.