The Centre for Defence and Strategic Studies (CDSS) is the senior educational institution of the Australian Defence College. It is responsible for providing Australian and overseas participants with the knowledge and skills required to operate at the strategic level in a complex and modern security environment.
To achieve this, the principal activity of the CDSS is delivery of the Defence and Strategic Studies Course - the senior course in Australia for senior military officers and Government officials engaged in national security issues.
CDSS is part of the Australian Defence College (ADC) Campus located at Weston Creek in the south-west of Canberra. It was opened in January 2001, and has replaced the Australian College of Defence and Strategic Studies and the Joint Services Staff College, both of which previously operated at Weston Creek.
The aim of the Centre is to provide officers of the Australian Defence Force (ADF), the Australian Public Service and overseas participants with the knowledge and skills required by commanders, strategic leaders and managers engaged in national security issues.
- The policy skills needed to understand and operate effectively in the complex security environment of the modern world;
- Appropriate leadership and decision-making skills; and
- A deep understanding of global, regional and national issues of defence and strategic importance.
To achieve its aim, the Centre will:
- Deliver high quality programs in strategic and defence policy and planning, leadership and management, and security issues of global, regional and national importance; and
- Develop and foster close and enduring relationships between and among its staff, participants, and graduates.