skip to navigation skip to content skip to footer

Prior to your departure from overseas

Temporary Accommodation and Temporary Accommodation Application (Form AD 461)

A member whose rank within ADF is Lieutenant Commander (Navy), Major (Army) or Squadron Leader (RAAF) or below and is not classified as a Member with Dependants (MWD) will only be entitled to Live In On Base accommodation. This accommodation will still be arranged by OAT for you.

You are not required to pay for this accommodation.

Your Temporary Accommodation, if you are being housed in a commercial property, will be in the form of a self-serviced apartment (i.e. with kitchen facilities) assuming that your booking will be for a period longer than three nights. Three nights or less could have you staying in a non-serviced unit that is unlikely to have kitchen facilities.

Temporary Accommodation is supplied to Defence by an external company and the available properties are subject to the Defence contract. This means that not every property in your new locality is necessarily available to us to house you. While efforts are made to ensure that you are housed in your preferred location, there are occasions where this is not possible.

The maximum entitlement for staying in Temporary Accommodation is six weeks. An extension to this period is only available under very strict conditions and is to be referred to your Unit Commanding Officer for decision. This approval, in writing, is to be sent to OAT as soon as possible after it is given to allow time for an amendment to be made to your booking.

The AE 461 (PDF) form can be found attached to your Introductory email. You are required to complete the Temporary Accommodation Application as soon as possible and return it to the OAT (either by fax or scanned and emailed). The Temporary Accommodation Application, along with your Intent to Enlist signal, is OAT's authority to book your accommodation and gives OAT full details in relation to your family and travel plans. Completion and return of this form should be one of the first steps you complete. 

Defence Housing Australia

Depending upon your individual circumstances, you may like to take advantage of the services of Defence Housing Australia. As the name implies, they are responsible for assisting Defence personnel in locating suitable accommodation for both the member and their families.

As soon as you know your Employee Identification number (also known as a PMKeyS number) go to the DHA site and select Contact DHA. On the page that will populate, select 'General Enquiry Form'. Once you have this form opened complete your details and in the drop down box select 'Homefind'.

It would be helpful to put information into the comments box advising DHA that you are a Lateral recruit and need assistance in finding a new home. They will allocate your request to a case manager who will then send you a Notification of Housing form to enable you to be registered for their online services.