skip to navigation skip to content skip to footer

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I find out more information about the locality that I am being posted to?

Your point of contact at your new post should be able to answer most of the questions that you have about your new location. Defence Community Organisation is also a great source of information and they are also able to answer questions that may be specific to your circumstances.

Do I need to arrange and pay for my own Temporary Accommodation on arrival in Australia?

No, you don't. Your Temporary Accommodation is arranged by the OAT and the cost of the accommodation is paid for by Defence. There is a Rent and Utilities Contribution that you are required to make, as part of your Temporary Accommodation Allowance, and this is explained more fully in a document that forms part of your Introductory email from OAT.

Even if you are a single member under the rank of Lieutenant Commander/Major/Squadron Leader and are going to be staying in On Base, or Live In accommodation, the booking is made by OAT.

Do I need to keep receipts to be able to claim the costs relating to my Immigration?

You will need to provide either a paid invoice or a receipt for the funds that you are spending directly relating to your Immigration. Please refer to the Lateral brief for information relating to what you can and cannot claim.

What happens if I find a new home to move into before my sea freight arrives?

Depending on how long it is until the expected delivery date of your sea freight, you are likely to be offered a furniture hire pack. This pack has everything that you need to be able to move into your new home.

The cost of this pack is covered by Defence and delivery and collection is arranged by OAT.

I am bringing my pet/s with me. Am I able to have pet friendly accommodation provided?

OAT are not able to book pet friendly accommodation.