Issue of Medals - Online Application
- Only current and ex-serving ADF members, a family member of the ADF member or a Power of Attorney may lodge an application.
- If you are applying on behalf of a member, please see our policy on Granting of Unissued Service Awards of Deceased Members
- If you are applying for replacement awards, please see our policy on Replacement Medals.
- Please have all supporting documents ready prior to applying.
- Please provide as much information as possible to assist with the application process.
- If you are claiming on behalf of a living member, please attach a copy of Power of Attorney or a letter giving permission to act on the behalf of the member.
- To access service records, go to Accessing Service Records.
- You cannot save and continue an application if you exit before completion.
- You must agree to the Terms and Conditions (and provide consent to access your medical records in some instances) in order for DH&A to commence the assessment process.
- You can navigate between tabs using the 'Previous' and 'Next' tabs.
- Upon completion, your application will be forwarded to the Directorate of Honours and Awards ready for assessment. Applications are assessed in order of receipt.
- You will receive an on-screen notification with a reference number for future use. (Note: no email will be sent to you).
Application for ADF personnel to wear Foreign Service awards on ADF uniform.
- To be used by ADF personnel who have been issued a Foreign Service award or ADF personnel who joined the ADF from a foreign Defence Force.
- Documentary evidence of the award/s must be attached and certified as a true copy. Documentary evidence may include the award certificate, citation or narrative or Certificate of Service from the foreign Defence Force.
- Please include details of the award, including dates and location of service.
- Defence policy concerning wearing of foreign awards is available at Defence Honours and Awards Manual, Chapter 35.
- DH&A requires time to research historical documents, seek approval from the delegate, and to engrave and dispatch awards.
- A timeframe for the Australian Operational Service Medal Border Protection cannot be given as the process is dependant on information supplied by each Service.
The use of the Defence Honours and Awards Online application is subject to the following Privacy Statement. This Privacy Statement contains important information in relation to submitting an application through this online application.
What is "personal information"?
Personal information is defined as information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable:
- Whether the information or opinion is true or not, and
- Whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not.
Collection, use and disclosure of personal information
- Defence collects your personal information through the Defence Honours and Awards Online application.
- The information is collected for the purpose of assessing eligibility for medal entitlements.
- Defence may use your personal information to obtain military service records relating to your application from the National Archives of Australia.
- For your application to be accepted it is mandatory for the minimum required information to be provided. If you do not provide this information your application will not be submitted.
Bodies to which your personal information may be disclosed
- The Governor-General is the approving authority for the majority of medals in the Australian Honours and Awards system. Defence may provide your personal information to the Office of the Governor-General for the purpose of approving medal entitlements.
- Defence will disclose your personal information to an external contractor for the purpose of engraving and issuing of entitlements. The external contractor will not retain your personal information and will not use your personal information for any other purpose.
- Defence will not disclose your personal information for any other reason than listed above.
Click here to start your application