Work undertaken by Defence Policy Officers includes contribution to:
- Policy development, strategic planning and advice to the Minister for Defence, the National Security Committee of Cabinet and wider Government;
- Development of strategic guidance for Defence and the ADF, and to major reviews of defence policy and planning and military strategy;
- Analysis and assessment of capability development proposals;
- Defence industry engagement and innovation, including policy development and advice to Government on options for building Australia's defence industrial capability;
- Development and maintenance of Defence's international relationships with allies and partners, including through facilitating senior international visits and managing Defence’s representation overseas; and
- Defence's participation in whole-of-Government national security activities, including the Defence Export Control system and the Foreign Investment Review Board process.
The Defence Policy Stream offers training and development opportunities leading to a career as part of the newly formed Strategic Policy and Intelligence Group. As a graduate, your qualifications, ability to think
critically combined with your naturally inquisitive nature will enhance the professional development training provided to you. You will develop highly effective skills in strategic thinking, analysis,
communication and management, and be provided a unique experience working at the strategic centre of Defence.
If you are looking for meaningful and challenging work while contributing to protect Australia’s national interest, you will find it at Defence.