skip to navigation skip to content skip to footer


Scenarios - Travelling and Working Overseas

Key Concepts

Supply - when controlled technology, or access to that technology, is provided to users located outside of Australia.

Publication - when controlled technology is placed it in the public domain.

Pre-publication - activities, such as supplying a draft publication to a publisher or a peer reviewer, that support the pubication process.

Export - sending goods and/or technology from Australia to a place outside of Australia.

As a first step, it is important to understand whether the goods or technologies you are using actually trigger control thresholds. You can self-assess using the Online DSGL Tool on the DEC website.

The list of controlled goods and technologies (the Defence and Strategic Goods List) is split into two parts:

Part 1 lists munitions (or military) items. These items are more tightly controlled.

Part 2 lists dual-use items; that is, items that may be used for commercial purposes, but may be used in military systems or for weapon of mass destruction purposes.

Travelling and Working Overseas

Scenario One - Carrying DSGL technology overseas

If I am travelling overseas what arrangements do I need to make regarding the DSGL Part 1 or Part 2 technology that is stored on my laptop and storage device?

This is a tangible export of DSGL technology. You will need an export permit to take the laptop and media storage device overseas with you, even if you have no intention of providing the DSGL technology to anyone while overseas.

If you decide not to take your storage device and access DSGL technology from the cloud service your university provides, you will not need a permit as you will not be providing access to the DSGL technology to another person outside Australia. Supply must occur from one person to another, and you cannot supply to yourself.