Uncontrolled when Printed
S8C7 - NON-DESTRUCTIVE TESTING PROCEDURES
Table of Contents
1. Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) used during scheduled and unscheduled maintenance requires a validated and certified NDT procedure to ensure that a defect of a clearly defined size, shape and orientation is detected. This chapter prescribes the requirements to authorise the use of unscheduled NDT.
2. The flowchart at annex A provides the NDT task request process. The flowchart allows NDT to be locally applied where the test meets published General NDT Procedure limitations. However, authority to perform a test outside the limitations of a General Procedure must be authorised by an appropriate Systems Program Office (SPO).
LOCAL APPLICATION OF NDT
3. If an NDT method has been nominated in authorised maintenance data (AMD), approved by the Design Acceptance Representative (DAR), then a General NDT Procedure is considered appropriate to perform the test. As examples, AMD may state to perform a LPT, perform a LPT IAW T.O. 33B-1-1, or perform testing IAW ASTM E 1417.
General NDT Task Request
4. AMOs and SPOs are permitted to apply the use of certified General NDT Procedures within their defined limitations. The intent is to allow engineers and maintainers the flexibility to carry out NDT using established certified procedures.
5. Where a test is required that does not meet the limitations of an applicable General NDT Procedure an Interim Authority (IA) may be requested from an appropriate SPO. An IA is typically based upon a General NDT Procedure with additional test parameters. The intent of an IA is to ensure that a reliable test is achievable where test requirements may exclude the use of a General NDT Procedure.
Specific NDT Procedure
6. Specific NDT Procedures are SPO-certified procedures that provide specific information regarding a NDT method and the structure or aeronautical product to be tested. A Specific NDT Procedure is generally used as part of the aircraft structural integrity program and details the method of testing, equipment settings, minimum size and type of defect and test area including: type, location and orientation of defects to be detected.
GENERAL NDT TASK REQUEST PROCESS
7. The AMO/SPO representative requesting the NDT is responsible for ensuring Parts A and B of the NDT Task Request Form (example at annex B) are completed accurately.
8. A Level 2 or Level 3 NDT Technician shall propose the General NDT Procedure for the test being considered and record the details in Part C of the NDT Task Request Form.
9. The AMO/SPO Representative shall determine if the proposed General NDT Procedure method and limitations are acceptable for the test area by completing Part D of the NDT Task Request Form.
10. On completion of the task the NDT Technician shall complete Part E of the NDT Task Request Form.
11. The NDT Task Request Form is to be retained with the aircraft/component serviceability documentation and a copy is to be filed within the NDT section.
12. When NDT is performed, the following is to apply:
|Top of Page|