Located in the nation’s capital, Fairbairn was formally established as RAAF Station Fairbairn on 1 April 1940 and renamed RAAF Base Fairbairn in 1962.
In 1998, the lease on the base was sold to Canberra International Airport and part of the base was sub-leased back to the Department of Defence. The base was decommissioned on 30 June 2003. Defence now leases facilities from Canberra Airport including a Special Purpose Air Hangar (SPA Hangar) with apron and the adjacent VIP terminal facility which is known as Defence Establishment Fairbairn.Defence Establishment Fairbairn is home to Number 34 Squadron. The current 34 Squadron was formed on 12 March 1956 and achieved Squadron status on 01 May 1959.The Squadron has provided transport for the Australian Government since 1956, however, special purpose aircraft have operated in support of the Australian Government and the Governor General since 23 February 1942. Defence Establishment Fairbairn can also be used by other Australian Defence Force aircraft when required.